The Diploma in Dairy Technology is developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of India. The Programme aims to develop technician level human resource for dairy industry. Upgrading the technical proficiency of lower level workers/ technicians already working in the dairy and allied sectors is also intended.
The focus shall be to develop competencies in procurement of milk, fluid milk processing, production of value added products and quality control aspects in dairy plants. It will also impart development of skills for entrepreneurship to encourage self employment in dairy processing activities. The knowledge imparted shall facilitate good manufacturing practices in the processing sector and hygiene. The quality milk and milk products produced will have good market and export potential.
The Diploma is envisaged to create competent technician level human resource for the dairy industry. It intends to inculcate vocational and entrepreneurial skills to widen employment opportunities, particularly among rural youth and the disadvantaged section of the society as well as for self-employment. It aims to address the work force requirement of the dairy and food processing industries and focus on upgrading the knowledge and skill of existing workers.
The programme caters to educational requirements of the dairy farmers, milk processors, skilled workers/ technicians in dairy industry, personnel working in the State Dairy federations/ dairy departments of states and central Government/ educational institutions, entrepreneurs and NGO functionaries/extension trainers/ rural educators. The proposed programme is being developed with the support from the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
The main objective of the programme is to:
- Develop technician level human resource for dairy industry.
- Upgrade the technical proficiency of existing and lower level workers/ technicians working in the dairy and allied sectors.
- Develop young entrepreneurs for self-employment through dairy technology and associated activities
- Impart knowledge and technical proficiency in:
- Clean milk production and handling
- Processing of milk
- Manufacture of western and indigenous dairy products
- Testing and quality control of milk and milk products
- Marketing and economical aspects
- Managing small and medium enterprises
- Facilitate Good Manufacturing Practices in the processing sector