Mr. Pranab Mukherjee, President of Republic of India has played a key role in public life for more than four decades. Before becoming the President of India he served as Finance Minister in Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh’s cabinet.
Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi recognised his talents and made him a part of her party. Mrs. Gandhi gave him a seat in the Rajya Sabha from the Congress party in July 1969. Mr. Mukherjee was later re-elected in 1975, 1981, 1993 and 1999.
He also held several important ministerial portfolios including Defence and External Affairs in the Union Cabinet.
Mr. Mukherjee's positions in chronological order:
- 1973–74:Union Minister of Industrial Development
- 1974: Union Minister of Shipping and Transport
- 1974-75Minister of State for Finance
- 1975-77: Union Minister of Revenue and Banking
- 1980-82: Union Minister of Commerce and Steel and Mines
- 1982-84: Union Minister of Finance
- 1982-85: Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund
- 1982-85: Board of Governors of the World Bank
- 1982-84: Board of Governors of the Asian Development Bank
- 1982-85: Board of Governors of the African Development Bank
- 1984: Union Minister of Commerce and Supply
- 1984 and 209-12: Chairman of the Group of 24 (a ministerial group attached to IMF and World Bank)
- 1991-96: Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission
- 1993-95: Union Minister of Commerce
- 1995-96: Union Minister of External Affairs
- 1995: President, SAARC Council of Ministers' Conference
- 1999-2012: Chairman of the Central Election Coordination Committee 1999–2012
- 2004-2006:Union Minister of Defence
- 2006-2009: Union Minister of External Affairs
- 2009-2012: Union Minister of Finance
Mr. Mukherjee holds MA degree in History and Political Science and also a degree in law from the University of Calcutta. He was awarded an honorary Doctor of Letters degree by the University of Wolverhampton in 2011. He was also awarded an honorary D.Litt by the Assam University in March 2012.
He is married to Suvra Mukherjee and has two sons and a daughter.